Pages

30 September 2013

How to succeed in Library Management does How I Work

Following on from Andy Priestner, Georgina Cronin and Emma Coonan's excellent posts in response to Lifehacker's meme, Dymvue has managed to secure a specially and secretly recorded set of responses to the "How I work" questions from the author of "How to Succeed in Library Management".  


Location:
This is completely confidential, isn't it? [Sigh, rustling of paper, tapping of keyboard].  Look.  All I can reveal is that I am sometimes found on one of the upper stories of the library building.  Will that do?

[Clearly the interview was not off to a good start.]

Current gig:
Gig?

[Yes, OK we'll leave that one.  Suffice it to say that the respondent is a Very Significant Librarian.]

I thought this "How iWork" thing you referred to was something to do with Apple. Isn't it?

Yes, next question : Current mobile device:
Whatever is the latest on the market of course.  And obtainable on expenses. 

Current computer:
One with six password controls, a Chimera firewall (that's a real Chimera of course) and sets to auto-correct "friend" to "fiend".  It is also programmed to remove all sentences including the word "disagreed" from the minutes of meetings.

One word that best describes how you work:
Immaculately.

What apps/software/tools can't you live without?
Ah! This is better.  iSawU!  It's an app I designed myself.  It uses a heat sensor, and once it detects someone approaching in an enraged state it creates a forcefield which renders my office door invisible.  Android and Apple have it.

What's your workspace like? 
It has a truly inspirational view from the windows.  All my staff, readers and suppliers appear no bigger than an ant.  I find this very soothing, it is so important to have a sense of proportion, isn't it?  Mmm. Oh the other useful thing is that I can see my own image reflected in the glass.

What's your best time-saving trick?
Don't waste if on people.  They never appreciate what you do for them.

What's your favorite to-do list manager?
Geraldine.  


She's an angel and I adore her. This is quite an old photo of her, but she still has the same old typewriter.  We all have to make sacrifices in these cost-conscious days.

She's very good at messing up appointments and inviting people to come for meetings on the wrong day.  As she is so nice, everyone forgives her, you know, she is just doing her best and it's very good of her to go on working here so many years after her retirement date and so on....  By the time the next meeting comes round the decisions have already been made.

Besides your phone and computer, what gadget can't you live without?
The one that records all the conversations in the Gents.

What everyday thing are you better at than anyone else?
Modesty.  

What are you currently reading?
Well I recently dipped into Roberts - Leadership secrets of Atilla the Hun but actually I thought it was a bit tame.  

What do you listen to while you work?
The conversations in the Gents.

Are you more of an introvert or an extrovert?
I have no idea. I don't ask myself questions like that.

What's your sleep routine like?
Oh I sleep like a top.  Once I have lined up the little dolls by my bed and tucked them in.

Fill in the blank: I'd love to see ______ answer these same questions. 
I'm not interested in other people's opinions.

What's the best advice you've ever received?
However many people's careers you throttle, your successor is always out there. That keeps me on my toes.

Is there anything else you'd like to add?
Yes, the bill for my time.  Here you are.

Previously on How to Succeed in Library management - strategic planning, Time management, Communication, Meetings

2 comments:

  1. Pura D’or Argan oil is now calling the best trusted service of Pure Argan oil for its nutrition value with affordable price.

    ReplyDelete